- Is your community experiencing climate change?
- What impact is climate change having on your community? (people, infrastructure and ecosystems?)
- How can your community reduce the impact of climate change?
- What adaptation options are best suited for your community?
- How vulnerable is your community to climate change?
Climate change is having a huge impact on ecosystems, communities and economies. The impacts of climate change are being observed across all Canadian provinces including First Nations territories. Indigenous communities affected by climate change may experience increased flooding, forest fires, and higher than normal winter road closures. These disruptive and costly climate change forces can have adverse effects on meeting First Nations infrastructure needs.
In response to these climate change effects, the federal government has developed the ADAPT program for First Nations communities. The ADAPT program is designed to help First Nations communities assess and respond to climate change impacts on community infrastructure and emergency management.
In an effort to help identify and address climate change impacts in First Nations communities, the Federal Government has set aside $24.7 million in funding called the ADAPT program (starting 2016/2017).
The program provides support for communities to address one or more of the following types of projects:
- Vulnerability assessments of climate change impacts on community infrastructure or emergency management
- development and assessment of adaptation options
- cost benefit analysis of adaptation options
First Nation communities, Tribal Councils, Indigenous Organizations, Non-governmental Organizations, Academics
Projects typically cost between $80,000 -$160,000 per year
Length of Projects
One year. Projects are under development for April 1 2016 – March 31, 2017. New project criteria will be released in February 2017 for the following year.
If your community is experience adverse climate change effects you may qualify for assistance. Let Cambium Aboriginal help you with your application and support process. We have the experience and knowledge to help you put together a successful ADAPT application package.
Contact us today for a FREE consultation at:
705.657.1126 or 1.844.855.8523